Founded in 1879, Putney Lawn Tennis Club was originally created as a tennis and archery club, located on the site of the Old Fire Station in Putney. As the popularity of the club continued to grow after the Second World War, the then Committee eventually decided to move it to a bigger plot and came upon its current home, just off Balmuir Gardens.
The club was always popular and played host to many competitions across the two sports with an intense friendly rivalry between the respective Captains. However, archery eventually fell out of favour - and so Putney Lawn Tennis and Archery Club was rebranded Putney Lawn Tennis Club (PLTC).
Whilst PLTC has a full-time Club Manager who's responsible for its day-to-day business, the club's overall direction and management is the responsibility of the PLTC Committee - 12 members (elected annually) whose role is to represent the club's members and work on their behalf to ensure that the club is run both as efficiently as possible and in a way that's beneficial for all members.